Good news - I had my first observation today. It went great! My supervisor gave me a good mark on the evaluation sheet.
Bad news - My cooperating teacher didn't agree. She asked that my student teaching at Gilberts stop today or tomorrow. I was very surprised, but I thought it would be best if I left today.
Reflection - I don't hate the teacher. Actually, I have learned a lot from this experience (and in such a short time!). I'm really proud of myself for doing the best that I could and never giving up. I didn't "quit", I was "fired". That's a big thing for me because I am the one who usually quits.
I have realized that I really love being with students. I love teaching. I love preparing for the lessons. It allows me to reflect on what I already know, what I need to learn, and how I need to teach. I love interacting with students. Aren't kids adorable with their curious eyes and with their desire to be accepted? I love the challenge I face every day in the learning environment. My passion for teaching has been re-affirmed through this struggling experience.
Now, I just need to pray that God will have a new placement for me soon. I can't afford (financially) to not get my certificate by the end of this semester.
_______________
The lesson I was observed this week was on 2 x 2-digit multiplication. I spent last week teaching 2-digit, 3-digit, 4-digit by 1-digit multiplication steps and has spent this week teaching 2-digit by 2-digit multiplication.
It was interesting watching the students vary in their levels of understanding as well as their procedural knowledge. It's understandable considering that some students have not mastered their multiplication facts yet while other students have been working on more advanced math skills (2 by 2 or 3 by 2) at home already.
In my lesson, I modeled the traditional steps to solving the 2 x 2 multiplication (per my classroom teacher). Then, I introduced a dance called Multiplication Mambo. We spent a short time using our hands and then our feet to the "steps" of multiplication. I wanted to use musical and tactile approaches to reinforce the traditional steps. I got the class engaged and energized about math. It felt great!
Some other accommodations I incorporated in the lesson were:
- I spent the last fifteen minutes taking 3 struggling students in the back to give them additional guidance.
- Once the assignment was completed, I allowed advanced students to create problems for each other. But, they must have solved the problems first before giving them to the others.
- I gave the multiplication charts to students who did not memorize all their facts yet. Why? I thought the lesson was about learning the steps to 2 x 2 multiplication. If they are unsure of the facts, then learning the steps will be frustrating for them.
- For visual learners, I used color markers to show the different steps in the process.
- For students who needed personal anecdote, I told the class about how a task/problem may look difficult and challenging sometimes. I told them when I was their age, I didn't know how to do the monkey bars. I wanted to just give up. But learning small steps and practicing those steps, I was able to go over one bar at a time. The difficult task became manageable and I successfully enjoyed doing the monkey bars. After my story, I asked some students to share their stories where something looked really hard, but after practice it became easier. I was pleasantly surprised that many students wanted to share their stories.
I felt great about being observed for this lesson. The feedback from the supervisor was positive, too. Most importantly, I saw that most students were really engaged and responsive to the activities.
6 comments:
Dear Shannon,
I truly regret creating a negative experience for you today. I'm sure it wasn't easy giving your honest feedback to Mr. King and my supervisor. I saw that you were uneasy with the situation.
Now, it's over. Please know that I'm sorry. I really wanted to do well and become a successful teacher like you. I guess really wanting something and really doing it well are not the same. I'm sad by that. I'm also sad that I have made your first mentoring experience difficult. I pray that the next student teacher will do a better job of meeting your expectations.
Shannon, you are a great teacher. I have seen the growth in the students learning.
You have effectively shown me the importance of classroom management and student learning. Even though you may not realize it, I have learned a lot from this experience. Your feedbacks - honest and specific - have been helpful. You may have counted me out at this moment, but I will become a good teacher. Your feedbacks and your guidance will be a part of me in my future teaching. Thank you for sharing your time, resources, and students with me. Sorry it had to end this way...
I hope you, Joe, Austin, and Renee continue to be well.
Yours Truly,
Toni Jo
p.s. Could I ask you a favor? Would you mind telling the students that I really enjoyed being in the classroom with them? Could you also tell them that I learned a lot from them? Thank you.
Dear Mr. King,
I want to thank you for allowing me to work at your school. Even though it was a short experience, I really learned a lot from you, the staff, the teachers, and the students.
I admire your great leadership. Your never-ending work ethics, your passion for success, and your dedication to the teachers, staff, and students are you strengths. All the teachers and staff that I have spoken to have said only positive things about you and your leadership. I'm glad that I was part of the school - even if it was for a short time.
I want to thank you for allowing me to do a portion of my clinical practice at Gilberts. Mrs. Leonard is a great asset to the school. I will thank her for her time and resources in helping me become a better teacher. I know that I am a better teacher now than I was a month ago. I know that I will become a successful teacher like Mrs. Leonard and other Gilberts teachers.
I just ask you of one thing. Please do not look unfavorably at Trinity and its students based on my situation. The school has a good reputation and has produced excellent teachers. We try to be nurturing, reflective practitioners. As such, I will try to reflect on my experience there and become a better practitioner.
Thank you, again, for allowing me to gain these experiences. Good luck to your school and your "pilot" projects!
Yours Truly,
Toni Jo
Dearest Wendy,
I'm so sorry that I didn't "check-out" with you today. I really needed to, but I didn't want to put anyone in an uncomfortable situation. Today was my last day at Gilberts...
It's too bad because I was learning so much from Shannon (though in a hurtful way at times) and from other teachers in the building. WOW! You and all the teachers at Gilberts are really great! I guess nothing can beat experience. It's great to see that our students are at the hands of many successful teachers. You, Wendy, make learning warm and engaging for the students. Keep up the wonderful work! Keep up the mentoring you do for new teachers.
I don't regret the experience I have had at Gilberts. I learned a lot. Especially from Shannon. Maybe one day, Shannon and I can become good resources for each other. It's too bad that she has written me off already because I thank her for the great learning experience.
Wendy, I hope your daughter is surviving the student teaching experience. It's not easy, but it sure is worth it. She doesn't know me, but I feel the camaraderie.
Thank you for listening. Thank you for letting me "check-in and check-out" with you. That meant a lot.
Have a wonderful school year!
Sincerely,
Toni Jo
Professor Smith,
Per your suggestion, I did visit my moodle site to erase my journal entry about the good news and the bad news. Unfortunately, there was not option for me to delete the message. Maybe you could tell me the steps.
Dr. Kennett had encouraged our cohort to submit journal entries of our clinical practicuum on moodle. I thought it was a private place where the cohort could share thoughts and experiences through student teaching. And encourage each other along the way. I learned from you today that our moodle entry is NOT private. If so, I completely understand why you would like me to keep certain information private - to myself and my supervisor(s).
I do hope that Trinity can find another placement for me. Financially, I must finish my student teaching by the end of December. Financially, I must work starting January.
Thank you,
Toni Jo
Hi, Toni,
I want to clarify one comment you made. I did NOT tell you to remove the Moodle site posting. In fact, I began our conversation by indicating that I wanted you to think about a couple of things but that the decision about your posting was entirely YOUR decision. I further stated that I did not intend to tell you what to do. I only wanted you to think about what came to my mind. Again, I NEVER told you to do anything. The purpose of my conversation with you was to have you consider some information.
As you know, the information I wanted you to consider was the fact that some happenings (especially with regard to clinical practice) are best left on a "need to know" basis. I further asserted that, if everyone considered the information for your cohort only, that is one thing. However, if someone in your cohort chose to share the information it could then be given to numerous other individuals. I also asserted that you must consider whether or not your cooperating teacher considered the information to be confidential. Perhaps the information was intended to be shared with your supervisor, you, the principal, and perhaps the HR administrator only. That being said, I reminded you to think of another person's right to confidentiality as well.
At any rate, I wanted to clarify the fact that I did NOT request, require, or recommend that you remove your posting. I asked you, rather, to reflect and make your own decision.
Sincerely,
Professor Smith
Professor Smith,
Thanks for clarifying the point. I hope, though, you were not upset with my previous email. If so, I hope you will be gracious and think kindly of my intention. I always want to do what's appropriate.
I've had an up-and-down day today. It was an up day because I was able to deliver a fun lesson to a classroom filled with awesome students. It was also an up experience because my Trinity supervisor came to observe me with the students.
However, it was a down day because my cooperating teacher suddenly asked me to make today or tomorrow my last day with her. In front of my Trinity supervisor, she said that
1) I have not met her expectation as a student teacher who has been at her school for the past 5 weeks (i.e. classroom management and writing lesson plans),
2) she would not want to have her name anywhere that would certify me,
3) she did not think I could be capable of growth as a teacher, and that
4) I hindered her students' learning.
I allowed her to point out why she felt all that. I didn't react negatively towards anything she said because I respected her opinion. She is a great teacher. However, when she said that she wanted today or tomorrow to be my last day because I hindered student learning, I couldn't prevent the tears from coming down. To me, students mattered the most. I could handle any criticism, but when I was told that I hindered student learning - it really hurt me. It hurt me as a person working hard to become a future teacher. I would have stayed until tomorrow except that she really didn't want me to and that I didn't want to be someone who hindered student learning. I finally found the courage to leave.
Last week, the cooperating teacher was upset that my lessons weren't meeting her standards. I told her that I will do all that I can do to practice and meet her standards. All this week, she was very nice and pleasant. I thought I was finally meeting her expectations. I felt like I have grown a lot as a teacher thanks to her feedbacks. I thanked God for giving me someone like her at this time in my life. Last night and this morning, she wanted to help me prepare for the lesson that was to be observed. I thought she was pretty much satisfied with my lesson. To my surprise, she was very disappointed...
What I'm trying to say, Professor Smith, is ... I've had an emotional day today. I hope I can trust Trinity to help me cope with the process and help me move forward in my educational journey. I need your support. I may have lacked the skills to be a successful student teacher, but I did put on an honest effort and positive attitude. Like my 4th graders I've grown to love, I also need guidance and acceptance...
Thank you for reading this long email. I pray that all will work out as God has planned...
Sincerely,
Toni Jo
Post a Comment